By the kitchen door (and it’s a farm house, so that’s usually the front door!) is a small deck. Over the years some of the boards developed some rot, making the deck unsafe to use.
We fixed that today. We replaced four boards. There are a couple of old deck boards that are slightly soft, but it looks like they’ll be okay until we undertake more extensive repairs next year. The steps off the deck need a bit more bracing, too, but this item is on the watch list, not on the immediate repair list.
While we were at it, we temporarily shimmed up a couple of posts under the deck that were “floating” above their concrete pier blocks. Using a car jack, we lifted a corner of the deck, then placed the shims. That should get us through the rest of this year!